Tuesday, December 03, 2019

More on editing

Throughout my editing process I like to have my computer read back what I've written. I find this a great way of discovering repeated or redundant words, confusing or nonsensical prose, even entire sentences or paragraphs that aren't necessary.

It's also a good way of discovering if transitions between character's POVs are working. We  are often advised not to head hop within the same paragraph or page, the best thing is to begin a new chapter for the switch. 

I found that my chapters would be very small and very numerous if I began a new chapter each time the POV changed. Sometimes an extra blank line between paragraphs works well for switching, but for me that extra line denotes a change of scene, time, or place, not simply a change in point of view.

The important thing is to show clearly whose head we are in so as not to jar the reader. And I do think if this is the author's style the reader will get used to it.

  

No comments: